USMILNET
April 18, 2014, 08:59:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We ask that you be careful to not post anything that may be considered as a copyright infringement. Please use your best judgement when posting information from other sites. A reference to that site is preferred.

Home   Help Login Register  

WELCOME TO USMILNET
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Eagles Nest  (Read 18711 times)
staylor101st
Screaming Eagle
Expert

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2006, 12:09:30 am »

http://www.screamingeaglesthroughtime.com/id12.html /:)
RIP.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:12:01 am by staylor101st » Logged

" The 101st has no history but it does have a 'Rendezvous with Destiny'"

Major General William C. Lee
WENDELLKDUNCAN
Judge Stump
Blaster

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2006, 03:04:12 pm »

101st Soldier pulls through for sister.

Posted on Sun, May. 28, 2006
Soldier surprises sister at graduation
Gilbert High principal helps with secret appearance
By BILL ROBINSON
brobinson@thestate.com
VISIT FROM IRAQ

Lexington 1 handed out 1,140 diplomas Saturday, including one to Trina Marie Shealy, who had a guest travel halfway around the world to see her graduate from Gilbert High School.

Spc. Kevin Clowdis flew in to attend his sister’s commencement ceremony from Iraq, where he’s on duty near Tikrit with the U.S. Army’s 101st Airborne Division.

Clowdis’ appearance at Carolina Coliseum was a closely held secret. Shealy learned of her brother’s presence only when Gilbert High principal Paul Shealy, who is no relation, introduced him before diplomas were awarded.

From stage right, the 6-foot Clowdis, wearing a crisply pressed camouflage uniform, strode confidently onto the blue-carpeted arena floor.

At first, Trina Shealy, 18, did not know what to do because she initially did not see Clowdis. Then, she rose from her seat, followed by her 175 Gilbert High classmates, each clad in bright red gowns. The audience stood, too, and applauded.

Clowdis marched down the center aisle, where they embraced. Tears came to Trina Shealy’s eyes — and to many more too numerous to count.

“She cried,” Clowdis said. “That’s what I was hoping for. That made it all worth it.”

After the ceremony, his sister conceded, “He got me. I love it. I’m so excited.”

“I can’t believe he did this for me,” she said.

The Shealy family expected 50 relatives and friends at Saturday’s ceremony, but left one seat empty as a symbolic gesture for Clowdis. Sharon Shealy, the siblings’ mother, marked it with a yellow ribbon accented with red, white and blue bunting.

The principal agreed to the ruse after Mark Swihart, an uncle, contacted the school about the effort that Clowdis, 26, was making to attend the event.

Paul Shealy initially had reservations about allowing a recognition involving one student, but decided the timing was right: the nation has thousands of servicemen and -women overseas putting their lives on the line; it is Memorial Day weekend; and Lexington County brims with patriotism.

“It seemed like the right thing to do,” the principal said.

As Clowdis waited for Shealy to meet him after the ceremony, well-wishers shook his hand. “Thanks for all you do” was a common refrain.

Clowdis and Shealy communicate by phone and e-mail when their schedules allow. A few months ago, Clowdis asked his sister what she would like from him as a graduation present.

“I want you home,” Clowdis recalled her saying, to which he responded, “You know I can’t do that.”

Nevertheless, Clowdis requested 15 days of leave, hopeful he might get lucky. “I didn’t think I was going to get home.”

A commanding officer called him in April 22 and told him his leave had been approved.

“It pretty much fell into my lap — it was perfect timing,” Clowdis said. He spent 16 hours in the air over two days before arriving in Columbia Wednesday.

Growing up, Clowdis said he and Shealy had a typical relationship for siblings eight years apart, which is to say they tended to go their separate ways. After entering the Army, “The more I was gone, the closer we got,” he said.

Swihart, who helped orchestrate the surprise and kept Clowdis sequestered, confirmed that assessment. “I know this means the world to Trina. She loves ‘Bubba’ very much. We just enjoy pulling off this surprise,” Swihart said.

Shealy, who plans to study physical therapy at Midlands Technical College, said she was overwhelmed being cast in the spotlight on her graduation day.

Clowdis, who attended Gilbert High in the late 1990s and went on to earn his G.E.D., enlisted five years ago — seven months prior to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. He said he realized at the time his life was headed down a troubling path and followed a cousin into the service. “I really feel like I’m making a difference,” Clowdis said.

He is on his second tour of Iraq, working security at a base near Saddam Hussein’s ancestral home. He also spent time in Bosnia.

Sharon Shealy is the typical nervous mother. She mostly avoids the daily grind of news coming out of Iraq, but is aware of what is happening there. She said she wasn’t surprised her son managed to find a way to get home.

“I told my daughter, ‘He belongs to the United States Army. I’m sorry.’ But I had that ‘mother’s feeling’ he would find a way to be here.”

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/14686203.htm

Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have fried chicken.

Blessed are the ample in body, for they shall be called fat people.
airdiablo6
WIDOWMAKER
Blaster

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2006, 05:12:21 pm »

Chairborne? You legs gotta lot of nerve.

Thats what I thought. Wheres your pic chubby???

He don't want none of us.
He's as big as two people that why he has two names. LMAO LMAO

STRIKE AND KILL
airdiablo6
WIDOWMAKER
Blaster

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2006, 06:01:08 pm »

STRIKE AND KILL
MarsAttacks
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2006, 12:33:51 pm »

I was told your butt is so big you had to weld two bikes together  just to get to work. In fact you have seen my pic over on the mil's Airborne Forum.
chrisirw14
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2006, 12:50:14 am »

I was told your butt is so big you had to weld two bikes together  just to get to work. In fact you have seen my pic over on the mil's Airborne Forum.

It took you two days to come up with that? Still waiting on that pic there bubblebutt...
MarsAttacks
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2006, 11:27:06 am »

No stupid---it was something I originally said to Numbers over on the mil. It was a hint, dufus.
chrisirw14
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2006, 10:55:37 pm »

No stupid---it was something I originally said to Numbers over on the mil. It was a hint, dufus.

Hum so no pic to back up your potty mouth? Figures...
MarsAttacks
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2006, 11:17:39 pm »

Potty mouth? WTF?
chrisirw14
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2006, 12:21:34 am »

Potty mouth? WTF?

There you go again...Either keep your mouth shut about other people or prove your not a fat body. Kiss, Kiss
poewolf
AIR ASSAULT!
Blaster

Jackal 3L

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2006, 12:26:41 am »

Dang, what is with all the personal attacks?  ??? Thought this was a friendly place to go, guess not.  We all know the 101 is where it is at!  Good luck and come home safe Eagles! /:) /:)P

eh, who knows what's next?
airdiablo6
WIDOWMAKER
Blaster

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2006, 04:47:35 pm »

Figured that was you SSG  Didn't know you were lurking.

Thanks for the Back-up SGT Chris but this guy and I have history... he's just cranky Beacause he's OLD !!! LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:49:14 pm by airdiablo6 » Logged

STRIKE AND KILL
airdiablo6
WIDOWMAKER
Blaster

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2006, 04:50:13 pm »

Dang, what is with all the personal attacks?  ??? Thought this was a friendly place to go, guess not.  We all know the 101 is where it is at!  Good luck and come home safe Eagles! /:) /:)P

It is friendly  To fellow Eagles /:)

STRIKE AND KILL
poewolf
AIR ASSAULT!
Blaster

Jackal 3L

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2006, 05:16:24 pm »

OK cool,  as long as there is no hard feelings or anything.  Didn't know ya'll truly know eachother and stuff.

eh, who knows what's next?
chrisirw14
Sharpshooter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2006, 08:42:57 pm »

Figured that was you SSG  Didn't know you were lurking.

Thanks for the Back-up SGT Chris but this guy and I have history... he's just cranky Beacause he's OLD !!! LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

No problem, figured you guys had some type of history.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

E-Mail the Administrator

Custom Search